Sunday 22 September 2013

Fernando Alonso: McLaren target Ferrari driver for next season

McLaren want Fernando Alonso to rejoin them next season and have made the Ferrari driver their prime target.

With the Spaniard unsettled at Ferrari, McLaren hope to persuade him to return to a team he drove for in 2007.
Asked if he wanted the double world champion, McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh said: "Yes, any team would. He's the best driver."
But he added: "I don't know his contractual situation. I assume he's under contract."
If McLaren signed Alonso, he would replace Mexican Sergio Perez given that Jenson Button is under contract and will stay on.
When asked if a return to McLaren was tempting, Alonso said: "Not really. I love Ferrari and I will stay at Ferrari until the end [of my contract].
"It's nice to hear comments from all the team principals every year saying they respect my job and personality, especially McLaren.
"There were so many rumours that we had a lot of problems that year [2007] but I always said that there are no problems with anyone, it was just the philosophy of the team, especially one man in the team that is not there [anymore].
"It is good to have these comments but there is no intention. I have three more years with Ferrari and I hope many more to come if we can extend the contract and that would be my hope."

No comments:

Post a Comment